Thursday, March 6, 2008

snakebite and backache

It started raining this afternoon. After weeks of exquisite weather that had me telling everyone who doesn’t live here to get down quicksharp to witness how breathtaking the Free State can be…
“Come before Winter,” I tell everyone.
Ja, fine.

The rain on my big sash window with the vine outside and the rock pigeons canoodling on the gutter – well, it just made me wistful, then sort of sad, then just sleepy. Plus my back hurt, as it does pretty much constantlywithoutletup, so I lay down on the rug in my office to ease it and to wonder to myself if the ceiling really is five metres high, which is my estimate.

Then, with my neck on my gym bag (which was kicked under my desk weeks ago and carefully forgotten) I dozed off. Amazingly comfy. I confess I quite often lie down like this to rest my back and think about the ceiling, particularly when I feel a bit low and need a think. And I do generally find myself having a nap and I always feel better afterwards. Funny.

The thing with the aching back led me to investigate a woman who does healing based on the principles of quantum physics with some kind of equipment apparently developed by Nasa.

I came across her through a story told by the friends of a woman who was bitten on the foot by a puff adder while fetching in her washing. There was not one professional in South Africa at a poison clinic or snake park or hospital who had a clue what to do.

The Bethlehem hospital said they’d keep her for observation.
“Stuff you,” she said and went home to the farm.

A retired vet, who treated horses for snakebite in Tanzania back in the day, recommended hot poultices.

"Sometimes it worked," he said.

The victim’s friends rallied for round-the-clock hot towel duty and called in the quantum woman.

While this story has a happy ending for the victim and her limb, that grouping of words scares me ... venomous snakebite, Africa, no-one has clue ... you’d think SA doctors would be snakebite experts by now, unless all our experts have exported themselves.

So I’ve an appointment Monday to meet the healer on her farm near Vrede. Maybe this quantum cleverness can sort out my aching aching aching back. It's been hurting for years so I’m sceptical. Have done everything from special doo-dads in my shoes, physio, excruciating Swedish massage, Chinese pressure points to that weird creature in that weird suburb in Joburg with her postural alignment gibberish. Oy. So far, nothing.

But it’ll be a nice drive. And the Free State is looking lovely.

No comments: